Used oil is any oil that is refined from crude oil or any synthetic oil that has been used and as a result of such use is contaminated by physical or chemical impurities. Sources include engine lubricants, hydraulic fluid, heat transfer fluid, gear oil and others.
• Used oil that is spilled, leaked or improperly discarded may contaminate and destroy drinking water supplies, food resources and animal habitats
• Animals may freeze to death or drown if oil gets into their furs and feathers.
• Exhaust stack from burning used oil in uncontrolled burners and furnaces are hazardous to health.
To Avoid Spills and Leakages:
• Keep machineries and equipment containers and tanks in good working conditions.
• Stop oil leak from flowing at the source.
• Be familiar with cleanup methods
• Always keep absorbent materials and spill kits in hand.
• Treat used clean up materials as HazWaste that should undergo proper disposal according to Enviroment Department Standards.
• Conduct inspection and preventive maintenance of tanks and equipment.